Friday, 5 February 2016

Style confusion: boho chic of French chic?

As I think I have said before I am not the most fashion forward person on the planet. Often I wonder what my style is and I have tried on several things in the past. Not all of those things worked for me, but that is because half of the time I have no idea what I am doing.

But slowly it seems I do feel a bit more confident, and I know what I like and what is equally important: I know what suits me.
Only, it is still trial and error sometimes.

Boho-chic
Last year I had a boho chic phase. I like some aspects of the boho-chic style very much. It has something easygoing, fun but also something sexy. I like the lace, the earth colours, the jewelry and the overal feel of this style.

Michelle Dockery played in the 2012 movie Restless. I really liked what she wore in that movie that was set in 1976.

I love the light and summery feel of this top and the vest-thingy. Absolutely beautiful.

Lovely colourful and ethnic patterns. Love the cape and the red boots

Great dress, great boots and lovely jewelry. What is not to like in this look?

In short, there is a lot I like in the Boho-chic look. There is however one little problem. I look like an idiot when I wear stuff like this. Or perhaps, more acurately, I feel like I look like an idiot.

For example: I had bought a vest with fringe, but the one time I wore it, it felt like a costume and I felt utterly uncomfortable. Perhaps it is a case of getting used to it, but I do feel that wearing clothes should be fun and should make you feel good, and not make you feel like you are not yourself.

Perhaps is has to do with the fact that I will be 41 in March and I am too old for this style, but I think it has more to do with my personality. I do not like to get attention and I am not really a 'free spirit'.  Sometimes I like to be, but if I am honest I know I am not.

French-chic
So more and more I seem to gravitate towards another kind of chic, the so called French chic-style. Yes I know, something completely different.
I like the muted colours, the attention to detail, the idea of quality over quantity, the simplicity that is never boring, the small amount of jewelry that does however enchance the look.

No, like is not strong enough, I love each and every one of these looks. And what is more, I see myself wearing these clothes and feeling great in them, not as if I play a part in a theaterplay.

Here are a few examples of what I mean:

How a t-shirt, a cardigan and a pair of trousers in neutral colours can look so elegant but comfortable at the same time.

A classic combination, but one that always works. And it can be worn to work, to go shopping, to go out for lunch etc.

Emanuelle Alt is looking effortlesly chic.

The jacket is not my style, but I do love the overal combination. But Ines de la Fressange is always beautiful.

Great shoes and great coat. Love the hair, although this style is too short for me.

I am glad I went through my boho-chic phase, because now I know I can leave it behind me. I feel much more comfortable with the French-chic looks and I know I can dress well in clothes that fit this style and be both comfortable and well dressed.

Knowlegde like that is worth a lot.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure very many people can pull off fringe. :) But French chic? Classic! I wish my wardrobe looked more like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, being more classic French-chic is something to strive for!
      And it is better to leave the fringe alone! :-)

      Kind regards,

      Delete
  2. Very interesting! You really made me think with that post... I never really followed a particular 'style' as announced by others. Over the years, I've come to realise that the most important thing for me is to wear clothes that are comfortable, so I mostly go for casual things, like jeans (with the occasional pair of smart trousers in between) with blouses, sweatshirts or pullovers. Actually, I buy some of my pullovers / sweatshirts in the men' section of stores because they tend to be more comfortable (why do women's tops always have to be tight and short? That looks plain awful on me!). In any case, your post made me realise that 'comfortable & casual' is key for me, I have a soft spot for denim of all sorts, and blue, grey, black and white are my classic combo colours. I love bright colours on others, I like the boho chic style on others, I think French chic is lovely - but none of them is *me*. I guess knowing that and realising it once again after having read your post is reassuring *lol* So, thanks a lot :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! :-)
      Often it is seeing something that makes you start to think about what it means to you. And if you come to the conclusion that it is not for you and you are happy and comfortable with what you have, that is absolutely fine.
      I love certain boho-chic elements, on others, not on myself as I have noticed. And I strive to be more French chic, but that is still work in progress. But I do like knowing where I would like to go!

      Kind regards,

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...