Tuesday, 27 December 2016

Some other highlights from the Rijksmuseum

One of the most famous museums in The Netherlands is the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. This is one of those national museums that were founded in the 19th century.
Here they have a huge collection of Dutch art, to give the visitor an impression of the highlights of Dutch culture and art.

Of course, a lot of attention goes to the masters of the 17th century, Rembrandt, Jan Vermeer, Frans Hals etc.
I do admire Rembrandt's use of light, but on the whole I am not a huge fan of his paintings, I prefer the homely scenes Vermeer painted.

But the Rijksmuseum also has a collection of 19th century art and if I am honest, I prefer this age to the 17th century.

I was very happy last weekend when I was there with a friend, and we really enjoyed our visit. I took some pictures I would like to share, although the quality is not as good as I hoped, since halfway the battery of my camera died and I had to take pictures with my phone.

But still, here are a few of the paintings I liked very much, from the 19th cetury art collection of the Rijksmuseum.





Jan Toorop, Sea at Katwijk

2 comments:

  1. I've been to this museum! (But one side of it was closed for renovation at the time.) It has such a great collection of artists. I'd love to go back and see what I missed the first time around. :)
    Did you have a good Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The renovations are finally over and finished and the result is a really great museum! (another reason to come here again for a visit!).
      Yes, my Christmas was very good, I hope you also had a great Christmas!

      Kind regards,

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...