Something to do during the evening

Outside it is cold and dark, and every evening I close the curtains early. During these long autumn and winter evenings, I think it is always nice to have something to do, something creative. These months are the best for taking up arts and crafts projects. And although I am fond of arts and crafts, the projects have to meet a few conditions before I take them on.

First, the project mustn’t take loads of preparations to get started, it must be easy to set up. Also it mustn’t take up a lot of space or create a huge mess. And last, I need to be able to pick it up and put it back within seconds.
I once tried weaving, but the drawback was the huge weaving loom in my living room, taking up space even when I was not using it. I found out I do not like knitting, or crochet.

But I also found out I do like embroidery. So last week I went to the craft shop and I bought an embroidery kit. It is a pillow cover with purple and pink hydrangeas. It is perfect for beginners, because it is done with wool (not real wool) so you see results very quickly, and the colours and the pattern are printed on the fabric, so I cannot go wrong.
For these past days every evening I take out my basket, do some cross stitching and when I am done I can put it away very easily.  
Perhaps it is a bit old-fashioned, but I really enjoy it, and for me that is more important than being ‘in-fashion’.
Look at the lovely colours!

The beginning

My lovely little scissors in the form of a bird.
Since the beginning of time it seems that needlework it connected to feminine accomplishments, from the working women who knitted socks for husbands and children, to upper class ladies who did fine embroidery. Women knitting, sowing or doing other needlework also inspired lots of artists and painters, as you can see below.




 
(I do not onw any rights to these pictures, so if I need to remove them please let me know and I will do so.)



Comments

  1. Wat grappig om te lezen dat je ook houdt van creatieve dingen. Ik had dat niet achter je gezocht ;-) maar eigenlijk weet ik niet hoe een typische creatieveling er dan uit moet zien. Van mij verwachten de meesten ook niet dat ik graag borduur en haak, om maar een paar van mijn creatieve uitingen te noemen. Ik vind borduren heerlijk ontspannend, je kunt er lekker je hoofd mee leeg maken. Maar helaas heb ik het laatste jaar de boeken steeds voorrang verleend. Vorig jaar ben ik een groot borduurproject gestart (http://joke-boekhappen.blogspot.nl/2011/12/het-is-weer-zover.html) maar ik heb er dit jaar maar heel weinig aan gedaan. Ik heb er ook al eens over nagedacht om een tweede blog te beginnen met alleen creatieve dingen, al was het maar om mezelf te stimuleren maar ja het kost ook weer tijd om dat bij te houden en je moet dan toch wel elke week iets kunnen laten zien. Nu ik jou zo lekker bezig zie krijg ik wel weer heel veel borduurkriebels....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zo zie je maar hoe je nog allerlei dingen te weten kunt komen van andere mensen (waar een blog al niet goed voor is!) :-) Ik merk dat ik dat borduren heerlijk vind, dus ik snap je heel erg goed, leuk hoor, zeker met die lange avonden die er weer aan komen.

      Delete

Post a Comment