Jane Eyre (2011)

Jane Eyre was my first aquaintance with Classic English literature when I was fifteen years old. I still remember the day I picked up the book from the bookstore in town, being intrigued by the volume of the book and the picture on the front of a woman in a white dress.
I brought the book home, read it, loved it and reread it several times since. I bought an English version a couple of years later, but I must admit, every time I reread it, I go for the (now slightly battered, almost 23 y.o.) copy I bought when I was fifteen.
More about this book can be found on my bookblog A corner of the library.

I once saw the eighties miniseries with Timothy Dalton as mr. Rochester, and I really liked that. I loved how the scenes I knew so well came to live.

Recently I also saw the movie that was made in 2011, with Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender as Jane and Rochester. I liked the fact that this movie began with the moment Jane runs away from Thornton Hall, and we find out what happened to her in flashbacks.
Here are a few impressions of the film. Well worth viewing in my mind!

Aunt Reed, look at the marvellous details in her dress
Jamie Bell as Rivers. Who would have thought this boy who wanted to be a ballet dancer (Billie Eliott)  could be such a strict minister!

Dame Judi Dench, in a role that seemed a little 'light' for her. 
Rochester and Jane, after she saved him from the fire. 
Jane and Rochester, in the Springtime

Need I say more? 
Michael Fassbender is a very good Rochester in my  mind. I think I even like him better than Timothy Dalton. 
Mia Wasikowska is a good Jane Eyre, although it took me some time to get used to her. 

Final scene were Jane comes to Rochester after the terrible fire that cost him his eyes.  Beautiful and heartbreaking. 

Comments