Inspirational art: Jan Altink

Rooster at The Blauwborgje 1927-1928
Jan Altink (1885-1971) was born in Groningen, in the north of The Netherlands (as was I) and he got his training as a painter in Groningen. He became one of the most well-known Dutch expressionists.
He was an important member (and one of the founders) of a Groninger artists collective, called The plough (De ploeg). Jan Altink came up with the name because he wanted to signify that something new had to start and the ground needed to be ploughed, so new ideas could grow.

I saw this painting in the Singer museum in Laren, when I was there last month. I immediately liked it very much. The blauwborgje is the name of a farm just outside the city of Groningen, where the artists of The plough often came together.

I like the colours and I can look at it for a long time, there is something new to be seen every time I see it.

Comments

  1. Altink is a new artist for me; I don't think I've ever seen any of his paintings before. Thanks for sharing this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I never heard of him before. I knew about De ploeg, but not this artist. I really liked this painting and I want to see more now.

      Kind regards,

      Delete

Post a Comment