What have I been doing?

The past month has been quite busy, but I have also been in a bit of a blogging funk, that is why I opted for an overview of last month. What have I been doing?

Exams
I had to spent a lot of time this month on the final exams the students did. I had 53 students in 5H en 22 in 4M, making for a lot of hours marking. We are waiting for the final results, and then we will know how our students did. This will be next week. Always a nervewrecking time!

Learning French
A couple of weeks ago I told you I am learning French. I have already done 8 lessons, and I love it. It is a good mix of listening, speaking, and writing. I especially love the exercises where you have to make your own French sentences, rather than just fill in the correct form of the verb (we get those exercises as well of course!) This has really been a good decision!

Holiday in the Summer
My best friend and I will go on holiday together this Summer and we picked a city neither of us has been to, but we have heard good things about. We are going to Lisbon in Portugal!! We are already dreaming about all the fish we are going to eat and the amazing Pastel de Nate's, and of course the beautiful things we will see.

Books
I have been reading quite a lot of books, in between marking. I have re-read all the books I have by John Connolly that feature Charlie Parker. These books are well written, with great characters, good plots and a touch of the supernatural.

I also read the fourth book in the Tudor Queens series by Alison Weir. I adore Alison Weir and think she is both an excellent historian and a very good writer, but I did not really enjoy this book about Anna of Kleves. And I came to the conclusion this is because Anna of Kleves was boring as hell. I understand why somebody like king Henry VIII who was very intelligent, spoke several languages, was schooled in theologie and composed music, did not enjoy being married to somebody who only knew how to make Sauerkraut. So exit Anna, and I hope the new book about Catherine Howard will be more interesting.

I also was not very impressed by the latest Louis de Bernieres, So much life left over. I thought it was shallow and not very good.

I did read an amazing Italian novel by Marco Rossaei, but there is no English translation (yet). And I read a great Dutch non-fiction book about French literature and French authors.

Exhibitions
Not many exhibitions in the past weeks, just one actually, about Medieval gardens. More about that next week!

Comments

  1. Sounds like last month was busy but awesome. And I hope you have an amazing time in Lisbon! Can't wait to hear all about it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lisbon is a great thing to look forward to!! I am excited about it. And last month was good, but perhaps a bit too busy :-) I am glad things are a bit more quiet now. Although, the end of the schoolyear is never quiet!

      Kind regards,

      Delete

Post a Comment