Two reading projects

The Bronte novels
Brontë project
A couple of weeks ago I decided to have a little reading project for the Winter and to read all the Brontë novels and a couple of books about them. I have read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, but never one of the other novels. 

I have made some progress, and so far I read Wuthering Heigts again, and I read Agnes Grey and The tenant of Wildfell Hall for the first time. I especially adored Agnes Grey. I also re-read the biografie by Juliet Barker, which I love. 

I also read the three books by Bella Ellis about the Brontë sisters as detectives, and I thought these were really good. 

Now, I still have some non-fiction books about the Brontës, and also the novels by Charlotte: Shirley, Vilette and The professor. I am reading them in order, so I will tackle Shirley first. This is a enormous book, about 700 pages in my Dutch edition, so it will take me some time. But I have set the entire winter for this project, so there is no hurry!


All things Agatha
Agatha Christie is my happy place. Whenever I need comfort, I turn to her and she never, ever dissapoints me.

In the past weeks I have been rewatching the series Poirot with David Suchet and I love it. Not all the adaptations are faithful to the books, but on the whole this seris is absolutely wonderful and the attention to details and costume is perfect! After this, I will rewatch Miss Marple (both the series with Joan Hickson as the new one) and some of the other adaptations (especially the movies with Peter Ustinov as Poirot!). 

I also read The secret notebooks, with all the notes Agatha Christie made about her books and stories, and this is so interesting and excellent. 

I own all the books Agatha Christie wrote in Dutch, although there are a couple of short story collections that are different. But on the whole, I own them all. Now, I have also ordered my most beloved stories in English. I think I will try to read all the books (in chronoligical order) in 2023. A lovely new reading project :-) I do think I will restrict myself to the detectives, and leave the Mary Westmacott books and the autobiographical books for the moment. 

Comments

  1. Good luck with your Bronte project! I've read Wuthering Heights ,Jane Eyre, and the Tenant of Wildfell Hall. I tried to read Villette once, but never made it through. And I love how you describe Agatha Christie as your happy place. I love her books like that, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give updates on how far I come with my Bronte project. I am curious to see how I like the other novels by Charlotte.
      And Agatha Christie rules. No doubt about it. :-)

      Kind regards,

      Delete

Post a Comment