Tuesday, 30 December 2014

Best books of 2014

My best books of 2014
I had an amazing year when I look at the books I read. In total I read 148 books, but I must confess 13 of those were Agatha Christies and I can read those in an hour or so.

I read 15 books about Russia or by Russian authors, 16 books about Italy or by Italian authors. I read 33 non-fiction books and 21 of those were historical non-fiction, no surprise there!


And now for the good part, what were my best books of 2014?



First my top three in fiction:
  • Twice born by Margaret Mazzantini here A beautiful love story of two people who really want a child, against the horrible events of the civil war in Bosnia
  • The Mussolini canal by Antonio Pennacchi here An epic novel about an Italian family.
  • The rise and fall of great powers by Tom Rachman here The beautifully written story of Tolly and the different important events in her life.

Other categories:
Non fiction: The best on fiction book was a book by a Dutch journalist about Anton Chekhov, and I love this book so much because it gave me Chekhov in my life. Without this book I would not have picked up his stories and I would not have fallen in love a little bit with Anton Chekhov.
But since there is no English translation of this book, I will give you my second best non-fiction book of 2014 and for me this was:
  • The Bloomsbury cookbook by Jans Ondaatje Rolls, here. Part cookbook, artbook, biography and social history, this book has it all.

Best thriller:
  • The root of all evil by Roberto Costantini here The second part in the trilogy about Inspector Michele Balistreri and his troubled past.

Best Fantasy (okay, I admit, this was the only fantasy I read this year, but still!)
  • The fool's assassin by Robin Hobb here A new part in the series of Fitz and the Fool and I loved it.

Best cookbook
  • Simply Italian by the Chiappa sisters, here
I hope 2015 will be an equally good reading year!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on reading so many books this year. That's awesome! I'm impressed that you've read so many Russian authors; and I love that you can zip through an Agatha Christie book so quickly. Reading your blog and chatting with you this year has been a lot of fun. I hope 2015 is even better. Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been fun, I also really enjoy reading your blog. So let us hope for much more amazing posts in the coming year and wonderful conversations!
      Happy 2015!

      Kind regards,

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...