Fantastic beasts and where to find them (2016)

Last week I went to the cinema to see the film Fantastic beasts and where to find them. 
The screenplay is written by JK. Rowling and it is set in the Harry Potter universe.

It tells the story of Newt Scamander, an English scientists who comes to New York in 1926 with a suitcase full of magical beasts. He path crosses that of non-wizard Jacob Kowalski, some of the beasts escape and Scamander and Kowalski must try to prove that the havoc in New York is not caused by the magical beasts from the suitcase, but by something much darker and much more dangerous.

I felt a bit weird going to the cinema on my own to see a fantasy-film, but it turned out I was not the only one who was there alone!

I loved the movie very much. I had not really a good idea of what to expect, but I just hoped it would be good. And it was. I appreciate that JK. Rowling does not shy away from darker story-lines, and in this film somebody dies that should not have died.

There were a couple of storylines and a little surprise at the end. I am curious to see where this will go!
Kowalski (Dan Fogler) and Scamander (Eddy Redmayne) 
Eddy Redmayne is great as the shy and boyish but charming Newt Scamander and I loved Jacob Kowalski, who is so impressed by the miracles he sees in this new world. It was very endearing.

I also liked the fantastic beasts very much (some of them so cute and other so funny and others so beautiful!) and the special effects (I saw the film in 3-D) were very spectacular. I loved the twenties-atmosphere and the humor in it.
Tina and Scamander.
Love that twenties-atmosphere!
In short, when the film was over, I needed a long time to get out of this new realm and get back to the real world. I heard there will be four more films following this one, and if all of those are as good as this first one, then the Harry Potter films will have a worthy successor.
Newt Scamander, perfectly cast. 

Comments

  1. I loved this movie, too, and all the fantastic beasts in it, especially Frank and Newt's little green bowtruckle. :) I'm glad you got to see it even if you had to go by yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frank was amazing, so very very beautiful! So much imagination went into the creation of these animals.
      And in the end it was not as weird as I thought it would be, being alone in the movietheatre, since I was certainly not the only one!

      Kind regards,

      Delete

Post a Comment