The nun's story (1959)

One of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen is The nun's story with Audrey Hepburn. It tells the story of the Belgian Gabrielle van der Mal who entered a convent in the nineteen thirties.

She is a good nurse and wants to go to the Kongo, to serve as a missionary nurse, but of course, when you are a nun your own wishes do not count, you must always first serve God.

The way sister Luc, as she is called in the convent, struggles with the idea that she must be a nun before she is a nurse, is done in a beautiful manner. She truely wrestles with this and it is hard to completely forget yourself and put God first in everything. And even when she does go to the Kongo, it may not be so easy for her.

The film was based on the book by Katheryn Hulme, who wrote it based on the story of a friend of her, who was a Belgian ex-nun.

The film stays very close to the book and it is filmed beautifully. Especially the first part in the convent is almost a ballet in black and white.
A truely amazing story.
As a postulant

The hair is cut when a postulant becomes a novice

Asking for forgiveness for things done wrong

Sister Luc

Comments

  1. Oh, I love this movie! Thank you for reminding me of this - I haven't seen it in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it on dvd and I watched it again a couple of weeks ago, and again i was captured by the beaty of this film.

      Kind regards,

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love Audrey Hepburn! But I have to admit, I'm more of a fan of her romantic comedies. She's such an amazing actress. Definitely one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I have never seen one of her other movies, perhaps it is time I do watch one of those!

      Kind regards,

      Delete
    2. I really like Charade and How To Steal A Million and also Wait Until Dark (where she plays a blind woman). But then I doubt you can find a bad Audrey Hepburn movie.

      Delete
    3. Ah, thanks for the tips. I must admist I only know Roman Holiday, but that is a good one!

      Kind regards,

      Delete

Post a Comment