What am I reading?

What am I reading at the moment? Well, I am enjoying my Summer vacation (four more weeks to go!) and I am so happy I have all the time in the world to read and do things I like.

Read last week
Last week I was lucky enough to spend a few days in Paris. During the trip I read Big little lies by Liane Moriarty. I never read a bit by this author before and had no idea what to expect. The only reason I heard about it because it was made into a series and Nicole Kidman is in it!

Well, I loved the book, I thought it was tightly plotted and well written, and very funny at times.
I also watched the series, and really liked this as well. Of course, the element of surprise was no longer there since I finished the book the day before I saw the series, but it was very good nevertheless.

I loved Nicole Kidman especially and thought she was perfect for the role.
On the minus side I hated the actress that played Jane. I have no idea who she is and I have no intention of looking it up, but I thought she was wooden and horrible and terribly miscast.

Reading at the moment 
At the moment I am reading a Dutch novel about the Dutch colonial war in Indonesia and the effect this had on the father of the author. It is beautiful and at some points almost unreadable because so many awful things happened in those days. But is is very, very good.

I am also reading a beautiful novel by French author Patrick Modiano. I love his works and although I have no idea which one this is in English, I can recommend each and every one of his books!

I also read a book about the history of Paris, I can never read enough about the history of cities I love. This one is Paris, the secret history by Andrew Hussey. I am only on page 113 and I still have almost 400 to go, but so far I love it! It is well written, interesting and full of anecdotes and amazing little facts.

Bought today!
Today I met a friend in Amsterdam. We went to Mass together and then we had coffee and chatted. Afterwards I went to Waterstones, the English bookstore in the Kalverstraat and then I also visited the American Book Centre that is located almost across the street.

In total, I bought these four books.
The beguiled by Thomas Cullinan is now also made into a film with Nicole Kidman, and I had my eye on it for a while. I did not know it was based on a novel, but when I saw it, I had to buy it. After all, I do like that Southern Gothic vibe!

I never read a book by Annie Proulx before, but this one, Barkskins, sounded very good, so I took a chance.

The other two books I bought at the ABC. Bad days in history is a fun book with a terrible fact of something that went wrong in history for every day of the year.

The last book is To the letter, a history of letter writing through the ages, with examples of fine letterwritters in history and literature. I am looking forward to this and I think I will put it on my nightstand.

Comments

  1. Those look like some great books, especially Paris, A Secret History. (I love books about Paris, too.) I've read Proulx's The Shipping News and loved it, but I haven't read Barkskins. I hope it's as good. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paris, A secret history is really good, I think you will like it. Glad to know you liked the other book by Annie Proulx (difficult last name!), that gives me good hope for this one.

      Kind regards,

      Delete

Post a Comment