Exhibition: In the picture

The Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam has a new exhibition that I enjoyed very much. It is called In the picture and it shows portraits of artists, selfportraits most of them, but sometimes portraits painted by their friends.

Self-portraits were easy to make if you had no money for a model, that was why Vincent van Gogh made a lot of selfportraits, but he also studied his face and several expressions this was. And of course a (self)portrait also gave the artist the opportunity to show what was important to them and what being an artist meant.

I especially liked these portraits of femals artists.
Louise Jane Jopling by Sir John Everett Millais (1879)

Elin Danielson-Gambogi, selfportrait, 1900

Berthe Morisot, selfportrait (1885)

Comments

  1. I love that Millais, and of course, Berthe Morisot's work.
    Hope you're staying healthy and happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved all of them and I am so glad I've got the catalogue of this exchibition, with all the portraits in it.

      Kind regards,

      Delete

Post a Comment