What has been happening?

It has been a couple of weeks since I last posted. Things have been hectic in the last weeks of school and I have been bone-tired. I am now in the second week of my Summer vacation and this has not come a moment too soon, I really needed it. 

The past week has been quite horrible, with the floods in the south of The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany, the murder of much respected crime journalist Peter R. De Vries and the huge rise in the number of infected people after the government said all rules and regulations could be stopped since it was all going so well and the pandemic was nearly over. We are now again at 11.000 positive tests a day, the other countries in Europe consider us a healthrisk and I am so glad I did not book a vacation abroad! And in the last week of school ten of my colleagues were tested positive as well, so that was not a good start to the vacation.

But I try not to dwell on the bad things, and I try not to spend energy getting angry and upset about things I cannot help or solve anyway. 

So, positive news! 

I had my second dose of Pfizer last Sunday, and I am very happy about that. I know vaccination does not stop all the risks, but it does protect me and the people around me and if I do get ill I hope it will be less severe. 

I am taking my time to rest and relex and I do not want a lot of appointments, although I always have a few things to take care of during the Summer, like getting the check up for the car and the cat. 

What have I been doing? 

I have read the latest John Connolly, The nameless ones, which was very good, but then I expected it to be. John Connolly never lets me down in that respect. I do hope more Charlie Parker again in the next one, but this was good. 

I also read How beautiful we were by Imbolo Mbue, a story set in West Africa about a small village and their resistance against a huge oil company that destroys their environment. Really good. I am now reading The far field by Madhuri Vijay, which is set in Kashmir in India, and this is a beautiful book, and very well written. I love it. 

I am watching the British series Indian Summers, which is set in India in the nineteenthirties, during the last years of the British rule in India. It takes a bit of time to get going, but it is well worth the effort to continue to watch. Very well done!

For the coming weeks I have a stack of amazing books waiting to be read, good series to be seen and I hope to do some fun things as well. I have a date with a friend to go to a museum next week, for the first time since December!!

So what about this blog? I will not have a Summer break like I did in previous years, but I am too tired to come up with multiple articles each week like last year (I had hoped to be able to do that again, but not this Summer, I am afraid). I will continue to blog once or twice a week, to keep things going, and not to disappear completely off the radar. (from the radar?)

Anyway, have a good week!

Comments

  1. Sorry about the rising number of new covid cases where you are. I'm beginning to think this pandemic is never going to end. At least you're fully vaccinated! That's a very good thing. I know I felt a lot less anxious when I got my second dose. John Connolly is one of the authors high on my list to read this year...so many people love his books. I hope you have a good summer break, with lots of good books to read. (And it's off the radar.) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, sometimes it is expressions like this I get wrong, so thanks for your help!
      I can really recommend John Connolly, the Charlie Parker series is one of the best I have ever read. I love each and every one of the books.

      Here is to a good Summer!
      Kind regards,

      Delete

Post a Comment