Sad cat news

The last photo I took of her
Last Thursday I had to take my darling little Eefje to the vet and she had to be put to sleep.

She had been completely healthy up till Wednesday, when she was lethargic and did not want to eat.  Bloodwork came back good and the other exams also showed no problems. She was very cold, so the vet kept her that afternoon to get her wam again but I could take her home at the end of the afternoon. We thought that was it. 

That night her breathing also became problematic and it was clear she was not doing well. In the morning of Thursday I phoned my vet and I could come. In the time I had to wait for the appointment, Eefje became worse, she could hardly walk, was meowing loudly and she could hardly breath. The vet diagnosed heart-failure and there was not really a cure. She was also probably a lot older than the shelter thought when I got her. Most likely she was not 5 years old, but older than 10. 

Eefje died in my arms. 

She was an amazing little cat and she died far too soon. I only had her and her friend Pomme for less than a year! And I felt like I just started to know her, since it took her a long time to trust me and to come to me. Only in the past few months she dared to come to me to be petted, and to cuddle in the evening before I went to sleep. She had a great character and was very brave. And vocal! 

The loss is so sudden it hardly feels real, and I miss her terribly. Pomme also misses her and in the first days she was looking for Eefje. We will have to come to a new modus, just the two of us. 

I am grateful for the year I had with Eefje, but I would have loved to give her so many more years. Unfortunately, that is not to be. 

Beloved Eefje


Comments

  1. So sorry to hear the news, Bettina! Thinking of you! Greetings from Ginette (sorry for the anonymous posting, google doesn't let me post under my usual profile)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ginette (and google is weird sometimes).

      Kind regards,

      Delete
  2. Oh, that is so sad! My heart is breaking for you. She was so sweet and cute. I'm sorry that you had to go through that, especially at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lark, she was indeed a very lovely and loving cat, with a special personality. I am sad I was only able to care for her for such a short time.

      Kind regards,

      Delete

Post a Comment