Jan Altink, an artist I love

In 1918 a group of artists in the nothern city of Groningen came together. They wanted to paint in a modern way and not follow in the footsteps of the 19th century painters. This group called themself De Ploeg, meaning The Plough. They wanted to plough the country to make it fertile for a new beginning. Their inspiration came from Vincent van Gogh, but also from German expressionists like Ludwig Kirchner.

Since it has been a hundred years ago De ploeg started, there is a huge exhibition in Groningen. I visited this a couple of weeks ago and I really loved it. It was very divers and huge, over 250 works could be seen.

I really like De Ploeg and how they painted portraits, the landscape of Groningen (I was born there), and citylife.

My favorite painter is Jan Altink (1885-1971). He was one of the founding members of the group.

In the exhibition, I always liked his paintings the most.
Here are a few examples to show you his work.







Comments

  1. I can see why you like this artist! Some of his bright colors remind me of the Fauvist painters, who I also like. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed, all in the same timeperiod of course :-)
      But Jan Altink rules.

      Kind regards,

      Delete

Post a Comment